When you have COVID, it can cause headaches. A headache might have been the first problem you noticed when you were unwell with COVID, even before you had breathing problems or other COVID symptoms. Headaches can be short or longer term symptoms.
Why do I have a headache with COVID?Headaches are often a symptom of a viral infection, but for most people the presence of a headache does not always mean that the virus is still present in the body.
MigrainesMigraines are headaches that can:
- Be more painful than a normal headache
- Make it hard to cope in bright light – you might feel like you need to be in a dark room
- Make you feel like you need to be sick
- Make you vomit
- Make you lose your appetite
- Give you an upset stomach
How long will my headache last?After COVID, you may get more headaches than you did before, and your headaches might last longer. If you have headaches when you are unwell with COVID, they should get better after two weeks or sometimes longer. Return to Top
What can I do to make my headache better?
- Try not to do things that you know will give you a headache
- Try not to drink alcohol
- Try to get a good night’s sleep
- Try not to get stressed
- Try to eat often and drink plenty of water